Thursday, March 8, 2007

Alise's Mom's Cream Cheese Poundcake

Every October, my mom calls me from California and asks what I want for Christmas. I always rack my brain and try to think of something I need. To be truthful - there is not much I need. I am very fortunate to have all my needs met - so that makes Christmas purely about wants. I try to have balance. Some for me - some for charity and some years I win out and some years charities win. Last year I won.

I asked my mother for a bound book full of her favorite recipes and some of our family favorites. She made a face. As soon as the request was out of my mouth I WAS REALLY EXCITED! You would have thought I said diamonds. This gift was perfect. It was me and it would be something I could pass on -- to -- to -- to my cats. Mom was not as thrilled. LOVED the idea of it...not thrilled about the work. But I pestered, I whined, I became 8 again. And it worked!

A beautiful leather bound book of family recipes - complete with family anecdotes. "Everyone loved this one in the 70's!" "Your grandmother always served this at parties". Here is the breakdown of what treasures I received.

Mom's recipes: All her favorites - mostly healthy or California inspired and my childhood favorites. Meatloaf, etc. She truly is a magnificent cook. Oh, she also told to me to tell you that she also took me to Greens and Millenium for the first time AND steered me towards organics. Thanks mom. ;-)

My grandmothers recipes - both great grandma and mama: Tipsy Cake (remind me to post around Christmas - yes, it does indeed make you tipsy), her biscuits, and other Southern favorites

My Aunt J's favorites: It was a lovely surprise to see her handwriting and her comments. My favorite aunt on my mom's side. Hopefully she will send some more of her wonderful recipes.

My Stepdad's Mom: Candied Orange Peel - B's favorite from when he was a kid.

My Aunt A: One of my favorite memories of Aunt A was her roast beef hash. I loved it. Everytime I flew to see her, I requested this dish. I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was straight from a can. But that's my aunt A for you.

This was the best gift - it has blank pages and I have started adding my own. Mom has promised to add more each year.

Recently, I had the privilege of cooking for my mom in an effort to speed her recovery from shoulder surgery. We had a great time. She watched me cook and asked questions. I loved every minute of that exhausting night. I was able to take care of her in a way that I knew would help her.

Thank you mom for the book and for all that you give me. See you soon!

Love, A

Mom's Cream Cheese Poundcake
INGREDIENTS:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 1/2 cups butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (thrown in a bit more for me if you like!)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
3. Add eggs two at a time, beating well with each addition. Add the flour all at once and mix in. Add vanilla.
4. Pour into a 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check for doneness at 1 hour. A toothpick inserted into center of cake will come out clean.

No comments: