Saturday, March 17, 2007

Three Days and 65 Degrees in the Windy City

I met M when I was 7 years old. I was a tyranical wanna be actress/director and M patiently participated in my plays and indulged my need for drama as an only child. M then disappeared leaving a very sad 7 year old without a cast for her next Tony award winning play.

Years later, M appeared at my high school. Grown up, dj'ing at our school radio and helping me limp through Geology by cheating off his amazingly sharp grasp of anything rock-based. We were fast friends again.

M disappeared after high school for a while but we met up again online while researching our 10th reunion. We met once in person about 10 years ago and then it was a steady check-in of phone calls.

This week, M came to Chicago to see his father, his grand parents and me. We shared many great meals, one at my favorite Vermillion and at West Town Tavern. He ordered a "Suri" at WTT and I was impressed with his choice. Great walks around the city and a wonderful time was had.

Thank you M for coming to Chicago. You have been missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I might elaborate on what is such a brief account of what I considered one of the best times in my life. It was a chance to re-establish a long friendship... a chance to return home.... and a chance to explore through culinary delights how my old home has changed.

I fancy myself as a person who loves food. It can be seen in the size of my body mass. But, I do believe that the best way to explore an area is through its food. Chicago is a city and devoid of agriculture within it walls. But, since it is located in the middle of a rich divrse agriculture area (the Midwest)and of the multi-cultural diversity a city brings, I knew that I would find great delights throughout. "A" was a great tour guide not just for city sights, but edible interpretations. West Tavern's "Potato Chips" were mind blowing. A crisp thin cut fried potato... drizzled on with White Truffle Oil, Balsamic Reduction, and Rosemary certainly make me never want to open another bag of Lays again. Vermillion's twist of Spanish and Indian brought about freshness and flavor. I enjoy the Tapas style because it gives you the opportunity to sample many things. Now, A can elaborate on the "eggs", but suffice to say that I did not enjoy eating "egg shell". But the Ahi was wonderously fresh with a spice that warmed my mouth and accented the fish without losing its own flavor. Then we had a small debate about how to eat a scallop. Now, with my large mouth and even larger stomach, I wished to grab the scallop whole and enjoy it, but A apparently felt that it was necessary to cut it into smaller pieces to enjoy it more slowly. Her way is probably more correct, and I may be impatient. But, I enjoyed the debate regardless.

I feel that I may be writing too much for anyone to care about my opinion. Let me just finish with this... I couldn't have had a better time. I also miss home more now then I ever have. Thank you A.