Thursday, February 21, 2008

Alternatives to the Lean Cuisine

Ok. I am not a huge fan of the frozen meal. But I have been known to eat a Mac and Cheese Lean Cuisine in an effort to not totally blow my diet and as a way to appease that fat, cheesy craving. I do, however, realize they really are crap and not a great way to fuel my body at work.

Finally, I have found some frozen meals I like and are actually good for me.

I am a fan of Amy's Organics. Her Tamale Pie and Shepard's Pie (vegetarian) are very tasty and low in fat. So check those out.

My favorite frozen meal is Kashi Frozen dinners.

You might know Kashi from their whole grain cereals. Fibery to the point of twiggy but a real hit with my Weight Watchers and health nut cohorts. They also make tasty frozen meals.

Lemongrass Coconut Chicken is very good. As is the Chicken Pomodoro. Lots of fiber as would be expected of Kashi but they also taste very fresh. Lots of vegetables - limited amounts of meat.

The only drawback is they are a bit pricey. Whole Foods have them for $4.99 - Target for $2.69 I think. I usually try to fix my lunch but these are great in a pinch.

Please let me know if you have tried others that you like. They also have pizza! But I think that would be just too much for me. Can you supersize this please?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good quality instant meals will always be a trick.... that is why Food Network spends so much time focused on shows that feature quick meals.

The worst translation of good food to instant food... is pizza. There is not one pizza out there that you can buy frozen that tastes any good. I am a huge fan of American Flatbread and recommend it fully.... but go to the restuarant and have it made fresh... frozen... it just doesn't translate the quality and flavor of the true experience.