Monday, September 14, 2009

Shelburne Orchards Apple Pie Contest

I like pie.  But pie scares me.

I don't make pies.  Well, let me amend that.  I make pies but only with Pillsbury premade pie crust.  But usually I stay away from pies because I don't feel right about the cheat.  Same way I don't like cakes out of a box.

This contest challenged me to make my own crust.  M also joined in so we could do this together.  We visited the orchard yesterday to scope out the apples available and to taste their version of an apple pie.  The apple picking was lots of fun and their pie was...ok.  So we feel we have a chance.

The evening began with a dining room table piled with different apples.  M started on the filling spice mixture. He is very creative with tastes and loved mixing and then my tasting.  He didn't always love my taste "faces".  He loves ginger - I can only take ginger in moderation.

I had gathered pie crust recipes from a veteran pie maker - my step-mother and from a variety of favorite authors - Mark Bittman, America's Test Kitchen, etc.  But I admit I was intimidated.  My one and only pie crust attempt was in my early twenties and ended in disaster.  A crust that had no taste and a chocolate pudding that gushed out after the first cut.  My father and boyfriend at the time were very kind but I knew I made a mess of it.  Not to mention the 3 pounds of chicken breasts drowning in dijon mustard sauce that made us all pucker our faces.  I shudder just to think of it.

So I stood among a pile of butter, lard and Crisco waiting for the magic to begin.  The Joy of Cooking recipe required butter and Crisco. Crisco scares me, but people swear by it for crusts.  The second recipe was all butter.  The food processor is a godsend people.  Forget hand cutting - go get yourself a kitchen aid. 

Tips for a great crust:

  • All fats need to be VERY VERY cold
  • Use your food processor
  • Watch the dough - it will tell you when it is ready
  • Ice water is critical to bring it together
  • Double your recipe
I rolled out the first crust and it was way to small for the double crust pie required by the contest.  So I pieced it together swearing to myself the whole time.  Oh if you don't know me...here is a unattractive flaw in my personality...

If I can't do something perfectly or close to perfect the first time I HATE DOING IT!!!!!!!

I usually can do things pretty good the first time...pie crust was not such a thing for me.  I was snippy and bitchy and exasperated.  M took a good beating like a champ and laughed at me for being a perfectionist.

I apologized.  And then the pie came out of the oven.  The crust looked good and tasted flakey and delicious.  Next time - double the recipe and voila!  I will take those 80 year grannies down. *smirk*

See M - I am close to perfect!  Lucky man.

More pies to come!

Love, Your Vermont Apple Pie Bitch - A

No comments: