Friday, September 11, 2009

Green Chicken Chili - Wednesday night dinner.

My mother made this dish first and then I perfected it.  Oh I know its ON mom and I say bring it!!!!! :-)

Green Chicken Chili - serving: A nice big pot full!

 
2 large onions, chopped

 
3 TB Olive oil

 
8 medium size white potatoes, chopped into smallish cubes - think bite size

 
3 large poached or grilled chicken breasts

 
1 and a half jars of green tomatillo salsa (Frontera is a good brand but I made my own which was way easy)

 
1 /2 packet of chicken chili seasoning

 
3 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (cannelini or kidney)

 
1 - 2 cups of of chicken stock

 
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil and add potatoes. When potatoes are firm but moving towards soft, drain and hold aside.
  • Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions and saute until they are mostly clear and soft. Add chicken cubes and mix together.
  • Add beans and salsa and stir.
  • Add potatoes and chili seasoning.
  • If chili is too thick, add small amounts of chicken stock until it is the right consistancy.
  • Let simmer for about an hour but you can eat right away if you like.
  • When ready to serve, add chopped cilantro and mix.
Serve with sour cream and extra cilantro. I also serve with crusty bread and Dos Equis Mexican beer.

 

No comments: