Thursday, April 5, 2007

Sharpening Our Skills at the Chopping Block

As a Christmas present I gave N a knife skills class for the both of us at the Chopping Block. They have great classes at the Merchandise Mart in the Loop. The basic class would give us an overview of the different brands and kinds of knives.

I am partial to my Global knife given to me by mom last Valentine's Day. A beautiful Santoku. Light, ergonomic and just oh so cool. Our chef Eric, was very funny and extremely talented with the HUGE German knives. These were just too intimidating and heavy for me. But we learned the proper way to slice, dice and julienne.

I finally learned how to slice an onion evenly and without fear of amputation.

N and I had a blast. Nothing like good company and sharp pointy objects.

No comments: