Friday, March 5, 2010

I HEART Waffles!

I am not ashamed.  Really...all those carbs and butter and sugar.  Not an ounce of shame in me.  So much so that I asked for the most decadent of appliances for the wedding.  The All-Clad waffle maker.

*angels commence singing*

Now when I shot that retail gun at this waffle maker...I shook my head.  No one in their right mind would get me this.  It is too expensive....heavy....obnoxious AND its only purpose is to make ONE food.  And to top it off...that food is SUPER bad for me.

Then it arrived....a heavy box....that glorious box.  I - LOVE - IT!  My favorite uncle (you get to be my favorite uncle if you buy me outrageous culinary gifts - hint hint to my other uncle - you may usurp this coveted title for a new emulsion blender ;-)

Here is my new waffle recipe...I will now only have waffle and wine parties.  Anyone interested?

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma's recipe for Blueberry Sour Cream Waffles


The addition of sour cream enhances the flavor and texture of the waffles.  The almonds are just delightful.

Ingredients:



3 eggs, separated

3/4 cup milk

8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

3/4 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 Tbs. sugar

1 Tb. vanilla bean paste

1tsp. almond extract (the aroma is amazing)

1/2 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish

Toasted almond slivers for garnish

Confectioners’ sugar for dusting

Vermont maple syrup for serving  - I prefer Amber Grade or B


Directions:


Preheat a waffle maker.

In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk, beat the egg yolks. Beat in the milk, butter, vanilla paste, almond extract and sour cream. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth. Stir in the 1/2 cup blueberries.


In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. (Lift the whisk straight out of the bowl and invert; the whites should hold their shape with a slight bend at the tip.) Using a rubber spatula, fold 1/2 cup of the egg whites into the batter, then carefully fold in the remaining whites.


 Cook the waffles. Garnish with the remaining blueberries and almonds, dust with the confectioners' sugar and serve hot with maple syrup.

No comments: