Thursday, October 29, 2009

Waking up wanting....

So the other night I woke up wanting.  Not necessarily for food or something tangible...just wanting.  I know this is a food blog and there is a food reference here somewhere.  I lay there a bit - a tad surprised.  I sleep pretty heavily and being awoken by a thought or dream is odd.  I brushed away this wanting and went back to sleep, but I woke with that same feeling.

Once something strikes me I tend to mull it over for a while...a few whys...some whats...and eventually an exploration for meaning.  The subject of wanting is difficult for me.  I have always equated it with something I am lacking.  I want bread with this soup because it is lacking by itself.  I want this move because the current location is lacking in itself.  Metaphors for every occasion.

But today I think wanting is just that - wanting.  I do not mean to discount wants.  I believe someone had a similar conversation with me once or twice...I seem to be 2 years behind. *thoughtful chuckle*  My wants are huge drivers.  I am currently changing my eating habits and they are all about wants.  So I guess waking up wanting in whatever sense is not surprising...food want or not.  So this is what I came to...

I want. And sometimes what I want is not available to me or good for me or...fill in blank.  So I simply can decide to want something else instead.  And because wanting is not about lacking something - it is just about wanting -  I do not have to feel badly about not fufilling it or feel the need to suffer over it, etc.

Sometimes I cannot have what I want - so I choose to want something else.

I want something I CAN have. Something I can feel good about having.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.