Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gluten-Free Girl and her Blueberry Polenta Pancakes

Gluten free cooking is a bit out of the norm for me. I am all carbs all the time and going without wheat just seems - well whats the point? But I do understand that some people avoid it from an intolerance standpoint.

My friend B is not friend of gluten and came to stay for the weekend. I wanted to do my famous Sunday breakfast for her but alas my pancakes were on the NO list. So I went looking for some GF alternatives.

Gluten Free Girl is good at what she does and she does a lot of GF cooking. Here is a link to her recipe for Blueberry Polenta pancakes. A few notes:

  • Very tasty - rave reviews
  • Being gluten free - the cakes do not rise well. So expect a flat pancake not fluffy
  • I would make a blueberry compote (recipe below) for topping instead of putting the blueberries in the batter. They tend to just be bulky and not evenly distributed due to the flatness of the pancake
  • Butter is key - don't leave it out!

Alise's Blueberry Maple Compote

2 cups of fresh or frozen blue berries
1 cup Vermont maple syrup
1 TB of corn starch or King Arthur's Signature Secrets Culinary Thickener
squeeze of fresh lemon for brightness or 1tsp. almond extract

In a saucepan, heat blueberries and syrup until the berries burst. Add the thickening agent - if you are using the King Arthur product just add directly to the blueberry mixture. If you are using corn starch, dissolve in 2 tablespoons of water before adding.

Remove the pan from heat and add the lemon or the extract. Serve warm.

No comments: